Tuesday, July 13, 2010

July 13, 2010 - Oh, come on!!

So, my job hinges on my ability to create a database for a small art museum to keep track of their holdings in their library. Having never really made a database, i've been attempting to learn through a mix of online tutorials and trial and error. So, TODAY, I managed to create a viable novice-level database for this project, was all proud of myself and ready to begin inputting the library's holdings. I'd been practicing on books near my little desk (which are actually unaccessioned, and therefore not actually ready for the database yet). After looking over my carefully created form page of call number, author, title, publisher, etc., I confidently took the first book in the library's holdings and walked back to my desk, took a deep breath and opened the cover to get the info from the title page. And this is what I saw...the friggen book is in Russian. All I could do was laugh at that point. I mean, come on! The Library of Congress saved me by having a short record that were in Roman letters that I could copy and paste, but geez. Talk about a rough start.

No comments:

Post a Comment