Saturday, March 19, 2011

March 19, 2011 - Organ of St. Mary's

I went to Fulton to see the Winston Churchill Memorial Museum and the Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Aldermanbury. It was really great! I can't believe that I'd never gone to see it before. The church is the only Christopher Wren church in America and is really only here because of Fulton's connection to Churchill. The church was in downtown London during WWII and was bombed. It was left in ruins for years until Westminster College in Fulton asked for it to be shipped stone-by-stone to the campus, where it was re-built exactly as it had been in pre-bombed London. It's really kind of cool. It even has the little seat cushions that say 'City of London'. The organ is really neat. Nobody else was in the Church at all, so I was wandering all over it and climbing into the organ loft and checking out the altar and the gigantic bible they have. It was really pretty cool. They also have 8 sections of the Berlin Wall outside the memorial on campus, too. After finally going to see it, I have a really hard time figuring out why no school I ever went to took the time to bring a history class to this awesome museum barely 20 miles from home. We'd go every year to see a Science Center in St. Louis, but apparently couldn't make the effort during all those years of studying WWI and WWII to drive hardly even half an hour to see this place? Whatever, school district...whatever. More pictures of this church can be seen here.

No comments:

Post a Comment